Seven simple tips to improve your experience with tinnitus
As you may know there is no known cure for tinnitus, also known as ‘ringing in the ears’.
However, there are effective treatments to help you manage the condition as well as some simple things that you can do to alleviate the annoying and bothersome sounds.
We’ve compiled seven simple tips for you to follow below:
- Avoid exposure to loud sounds and noises.
- Review your medication with your GP (General Practitioner), especially if your doctor has changed or recently increased your prescription.
- Exercise daily to improve your circulation and boost your body’s overall wellbeing. This will also help you to improve your state of mind and sleep better too which is key to helping you better manage your tinnitus.
- Avoid excessive caffeine. Go easy on the coffee! Caffeine can increase your blood pressure making your tinnitus more noticeable.
- Stress and anxiety can exacerbate tinnitus. Therefore mindfulness, meditation or other relaxation techniques can be practiced to reduce stress and improve your sleep. At Ótologie we offer therapy specifically tailored to your experience of tinnitus. Find out more about how it can help you improve your behavioural, emotional, and attentional responses to the condition.
- Play gentle or comforting music when your tinnitus is bad. A quiet melody gives your brain something else to focus on instead of the ringing and it will help with your stress levels.
- Clear your ears of wax – BUT DON’T DO IT YOURSELF! A healthcare professional can use specialised tools to remove ear wax. Using a cotton swab tends to only push the wax further into your ear canal, potentially making things worse. Some tinnitus can be a consequence of ear wax. At Ótologie we offer a wax removal service specifically for tinnitus. Book a call with us to find out more about it.
There’s seven tips that could help you make your tinnitus less annoying, but that’s not to say there aren’t any more. Find out more information about the condition by reading (Almost) Everything You Need To Know About Tinnitus.